Organic Sho-Chiku-Bai® Sweet Rice
Organic Sho-Chiku-Bai® Sweet Rice
This organically grown, single-origin variety of short grain sweet rice is far and away the best sweet rice in the country. Koda Farms' Sho-Chiku-Bai® Sweet Rice, also known as glutinous rice or mochigome, has an especially sweet flavor as well as a high starch content, making it the ideal rice for dishes like mango sticky rice and mochi.
Koda Farms is a historically innovative, third-generation, family-owned rice farm and mill producing the highest quality rice in the USA. With an unwavering dedication to flavor and production standards, Koda Farms develops and cultivates seeds that exhibit low yield, slow maturation, and tall growth (all features that run contrary to popular desires in modern agriculture) all in pursuit of superior taste and mouthfeel.
After harvest, they oversee the entire milling and packaging process at their own on-site facilities to ensure that every grain is treated with care. This results in substantially less broken kernels, and unbelievably fresh rice (smell any other freshly opened bag of rice after you've opened a bag of Koda's and you'll see what we mean).
Aside from their outstanding taste, these rices are appreciably more sustainable in their production. Their rice paddies are purposefully positioned on poor draining adobe clay soil, which dramatically reduces their water usage footprint. Striving for a zero-waste production system, Koda finds use for nearly all that would be waste on their farm – from broken kernels that are milled into rice flour to residual rice straw from harvest that is shredded and worked back into the land.
Instructions for cooking on the stovetop:
Rinse the desired amount of uncooked rice thoroughly, then place in a large bowl with purified or spring water to cover by several inches. Place soaking rice in a cool area to rest for a minimum of 6 hours or overnight. This soaking/resting period is essential. Drain rice and place in a steaming setup with a lid (the rice must sit above the boiling water, not in contact). Steam for approximately 30 minutes or until the rice is cooked to your preference in terms of texture.
Each bag contains 5 lbs. of rice.
Shipping & Returns
Shipping & Returns
- All of our packing and shipping materials are either biodegradable (including our tape and shipping labels, which are fully compostable) or recyclable and repurposed from shipments we receive. Products themselves are shipped in their original vendor packaging, which may contain synthetic materials such as plastic films or polystyrene (also known as Styrofoam), in which cases we ask that you please reuse or dispose of such materials as best you can in your area. Click here and here for information on how to best deal with recyclables in your community.
- Shipping costs are calculated based on the size and weight of the package, shipping tier selected, and whether the package is being shipped domestically or internationally.
- With minimal exception, most orders are shipped out of our facility within 2 business days.
- If an order includes one or more made-to-order items, we will hold the remaining items until the entire order can be shipped together. Non-made-to-order items may be shipped separately by request, though additional shipping costs may be incurred. Note that the delivery date on made-to-order items is approximate and cannot be guaranteed.
- Orders may be canceled if the request is made within 24 hours of placing the order if the shipping label has not yet been printed. After 24 hours, or once the label has been printed, the order is final and cannot be canceled. Made-to-order items and orders containing a made-to-order item cannot be canceled.
- Once your order is packed and ready for shipment, you will receive a shipping confirmation via email with tracking information and estimated delivery date. Average transit time is 2-7 business days once it has been shipped. Please allow up to 48 hours for your USPS or UPS tracking code to activate after receiving shipping confirmation.
- If there is any issue with order arrival, we first ask that you allow a day or two to pass before contacting us, as shipping carriers will occasionally mark packages as delivered a day or so before they actually have been in order to meet quotas. Once the package has left our warehouse, the carrier is responsible for your package and delivery. If after that extra time window your package still has not arrived, we require that you contact us within 7 days of its declared 'arrival' date according to the tracking information so that we can ship out your replacement as soon as possible. We cannot provide any order replacements or refunds for customers who reach out beyond this date.
- For domestic orders, we generally ship through USPS and UPS, only occasionally relying or FedEx for especially large or unwieldy boxes. If you prefer to receive your order through a particular provider, please leave us a note during checkout. In the case that your chosen carrier costs significantly more than we have charged your order for shipping, you will receive an invoice for the remainder to be paid before shipment. For international orders, we work with USPS and DHL, and occasionally other carriers if either of them are unable to deliver to a particular region.
- Some international orders may be subject to import taxes, customs duties, and other fees upon the shipment's arrival. These charges must be paid by the recipient. We are unable to advise or estimate specific customs and tax regulations in each country, as customs policies vary from country to country. Please note that customs forms for international shipping require accurate product information, including pricing – any request to omit or alter pricing information will be ignored.
- We ship almost everything directly to you from our own facilities. We try to inspect all of our stock as it arrives from our vendors, and again before it leaves us to ensure your satisfaction. We care about the products we sell, and want them to have long, happy lives in their new homes – part of that process is making sure that they are just as good as you expect them to be.
- If you wish to return or exchange an item*, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org within 7 days of your order's arrival to receive a return shipping label.** Returns or exchanges initiated past this 7-day window will not be accepted.
- **We do not offer free return shipping - all return shipping costs are the responsibility of the customer and will be deducted from any applicable refund.
- To reduce the likelihood of needing to return an item, please take note of product dimensions and refer to product photos and descriptions for additional information, including the possibility of natural material variations in color or pattern as may occur in natural horn or wild nettle fibers. We're happy to provide additional product information including any additional measurements by request. Size charts are available for most clothing items to minimize sizing issues, but these sometimes vary considerably from actual measurements.
- *All made-to-order items, furniture, hair and body care products, undergarments, food, books, vintage, and already discounted items are final sale.
- *All international orders are final sale.
- Items returned via 'return to sender' method are not entitled to a refund.
- If the return label has not been used within 7 days of placing the return/exchange request, the request will be voided.
- In the case that the mailing service is unable to deliver a package due to an incorrect address entered by the customer, the customer's refusal to pay duties, multiple failed attempts to reach the customer at point of delivery, or otherwise, we are not responsible for payment of return shipping costs levied by the courier. Similarly, we are not responsible for the payment of reshipping merchandise to the customer. In cases such as these, the customer is solely responsible for all shipping costs associated with returned packages due to failed delivery and is not entitled to a refund.
- We can only accept items for return/exchange that arrive to us in unworn, unused condition (i.e. as they were received). This includes any product-specific packaging or hang tags they were shipped with. Items returned with visible wear or use will not qualify for a refund or exchange, including those damaged during return shipping.
- Once returned item(s) are received, inspected for quality, and re-stocked, the refund will be issued minus the cost of return shipping and a 10% restocking fee. Please allow 5-10 business days for the funds to be credited to your account. PayPal refunds can occasionally take longer than this.
We exclusively purchase fully compostable shipping materials from our biodegradable kraft tape to our post-consumer recycled mailers, boxes, and packing paper. All of our packing and shipping materials are either biodegradable, recyclable or repurposed from shipments we receive.